Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Iqaluit, Day 2: The cost of arctic living

Today I was confronted with the, pardon my french, insane prices of everyday life in the Arctic. I knew beforehand that nothing up here will be cheap due to high import costs. But coming from Ireland, which I already consider being a bit on the pricey side, it was a little bit shocking to learn what people actually pay here on a regular basis. Good thing is, when I return to Ireland I will be so used to arctic prices that the shopping bill won't hurt anymore ;P

So, today we went shopping for groceries. See for yourself...

Fresh food junkies have a hard life!

... chocolate junkies, too


Seriously... wtf?!

I totally bought one. Had no other option!

No insult inteded, but this is DEATH in a can!!


A little bit of home for a reasonable price.

:D

My shopping cart in total...

... and what I ended up paying.
Honestly, I was expecting more!


8 comments:

  1. 114 EUR for that bit of shopping. These are just hardcore prices - I can see you eating irish stew a lot, since thats the cheapest option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch Eva, that must have hurt >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. wahnsinn, und ich denk schon immer, wenn ich im bioladen einkaufe, das ist ganz shcön viel...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'll enjoy going to Supervalu tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now wait a minute... that Irish stew has peas in it :O... that must be why it costs so much compared to back home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woaaaaaah, 53,-CAD for a lasagna!!! Do they even have horsemeat in there?! But thanks for the great photos and insights into the life at the arctic circle. I already was in love the with the polar bear skull in the kitchen. And how does arctic char taste like?

    ReplyDelete